Saturday, April 7, 2012

Drawing Lab - Exercise 1

A few weeks ago I bought several drawing related books. One of them is Drawing Lab for Mixed-Media Artists by Carla Sonheim. I didn't know anything about this book or it's author before I bought it. I just liked the art on the cover. At that time I didn't even register the additional text on the cover. It says: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun. Wouldn't you know it, that's just what I needed. I often struggle with that. I love to draw, but it often feels tough and a not fun. so, the promise to make drawing fun is very appealing to me.

The first exercise is to draw cats and so I drew cats. Lots and lots and lots of cats. I must have drawn at least 100 of them. The exercise definitely loosened my hand and gave me confidence, at least when it comes to drawing cats. The final result of the exercise is this 4x6 watercolor pencil drawing:


 I really enjoyed the first exercise and I am looking forward to exploring the book and the remaining 51 exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment